Durban Self Drive Safari Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park
Looking for something to do while in Durban? Then why not a Self drive safari to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park from Durban. Durban is situated South of Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park the drive will take you no longer than 2,5 hours on the N2 (approximately 250 km).
Durban offers a unique and incredible array of day tours or safaris not to mention overnight safari packages. However the two top destinations that can be experienced on a self drive has to be the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and iSimangaliso Wetland Park. The distances are virtually the same to either park and therefore you have the opportunity of witnessing some tremendous sights.
Durban to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park on a Self Drive Safari. As any reserve or park it is imperative that one tries to arrive as early as possible. The reason for this is that all the predators are more active in the early hours. However this does not mean that should you arrive a bit later that you will not encounter some fantastic sightings.
From Durban travel on the N2 (national highway) north, this road is a toll road and is maintained to the highest levels at all times. Currently (2017) the tolls will cost you plus minus R100.00 one way. Their are numerous one stops along the way ideal to stretch those legs and maybe a quick bite. The toll road ends at Mtunzini and one will continue on the N2 towards Mtubatuba. Please do take note that their are no fences and cattle do occasionally cross the roads.
From Mtubatuba one will see a sign indicating Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park from here it is a further 28 km to the Nylazi Gate situated in the southern section of the park. An additional gate entry is situated further north the Memorial gate. However we would advise to make use of the Nylazi gate as one it is closer and the area to self drive in is also larger.
- What type of Car is needed to self drive Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park from Durban?
Any car is suitable for a self drive in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park. Their is an incredible network of roads in the Park some are tarred surface and gravel. Maintenance is ongoing at all times within the park, please note that during the rainy season some roads may be more difficult to access.
- How long would I need to do a self drive in the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park?
Travel time from Durban to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and back will be at least 5 hours. It is advisable to try and self drive for as long as possible and the least amount of time recommended would be at least 3 hours in the park.
A self drive is a unique way to discover this incredible park. The park is 96000 hectares in size and offers the African Big 5. One can travel at ones own pace and also remain at any sighting as long as you would like. It is advisable to purchase a Map at the reception as the area is large.
Some Tips prior to your Self Drive to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park
Some Tips during to your Self Drive to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park
- Water, water, water sources are without a doubt some of the best places to travel to while on any safari
- The Imfolozi Park offers open Savannah grasslands and some spectacular vantage points to view wildlife from drive slow and you will be rewarded
- No 21 indicated on the map is also a very good area to travel too, better yet always ask the safari game drive rangers they are more than willing to assist in their sightings and directions
- Take some time to enjoy the various hides within the reserve they truly are incredible
What to take along on your self drive Durban Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park safari
- Cell phone, please note that reception varies in the park and not all areas have coverage
- Water, no matter how nice a day it is it can become quite hot especially during summer
- Map, don't reply on your cell phone as coverage is not present throughout the park
- Camera and Binoculars if possible
What not to Do on a Self Drive Safari
- Speed, the speed limit is 40 km/h please refrain from speeding
- DO NOT EXIT your car except at Picnic areas and other designated areas where you are allowed to do so
- Be patient at sightings everyone will get a turn