Where is the Imfolozi - Umfolozi Game Reserve?
First of all, one needs to know that the Hluhluwe and Imfolozi - Umfolozi Game Reserves are one Park.
The Imfolozi or otherwise known as the Umfolozi Park / Game Reserve is situated within KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.
The Imfolozi Game Reserve is set in the Southern side of the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and is often referred to as the Southern section. The Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park is the oldest proclaimed game reserve in Africa and is the largest public game reserve in KwaZulu Natal Province. The Game Reserve is world-renowned and has some amazing history.
- Imfolozi - Umfolozi Park size: 72000 hectares
- Hluhluwe Park size: 24000 hectares
- Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park size: 96000 hectares
Imfolozi Game Reserve Gates - Hluhluwe Game Reserve Gates
Imfolozi-Umfolozi Park (Entrances)
- Nyalazi Gate
- Cengeni Gate
The Nyalazi Gate is the most popular and easiest gate to access especially if you are traveling from Durban.
Hluhluwe Park (Entrance)
- Memorial Gate
The northern side (Hluhluwe) only has one gate entrance the Memorial Gate, this gate is more or less 13km from the Town of Hluhluwe.
Whate makes the Imfolozi Game Reserve - Park so special?
The southern side (Imfolozi Game Reserve) is larger in size and believe it or not quieter (tourists). The landscape varies from dense thick bush to open grasslands with some magnificent vistas.
Game viewing in the southern side is better when going in search of wild dogs, cheetahs, elephants, and rhinos. This is primarily due to the vegetation being apt as well as the ease of spotting the wildlife. Watering holes, hides and rivers are of course of the better places to start when entering the park.
The Imfolozi is an amazingly peaceful and incredible side of the park, one that will undoubtedly astonish most wildlife enthusiasts.
Imfolozi Game Reserve Favorites
Best places to visit and explore while in the Imfolozi has to include the following:
- Centenary Centre and Holding Bomas, here one may enjoy some techniques created and utilized by the Game Capture Team back when the Rhinos neared extinction. One is sometimes allowed to visit the holding bomas this however depends on what wildlife is being kept in the area.
- Sontuli Loop is a have too, this picnic area is tranquil and set next to the Umfolozi river where one may see various animals enjoying a drink. This is also the perfect place for a picnic.
- Mphafa Hide is the ideal place to get out and stretch your legs, head down towards the hide, and be surprised. It's perfect, please do make sure that there are no animals in the area prior to getting out of your vehicles please.
- Mpila Camp offers rondavel-style accommodation units and a tented camp is also available. Mpila camp is also the last place from where can purchase fuel.
- Wilderness Trails is a must for those that are adventurous.
Imfolozi Game Reserve Directions
Take the N2 Northbound (Toll Road) and continue North. The average drive time is 2,5 to 3 hours. Once you reach Mtubatuba turn left onto the R618 and continue until you see the turn-off towards the Nyalazi Entrance Gate.
Imfolozi Game Reserve - Self Drive Safaris
Yes, you too may enjoy a self-guided safari drive into the Imfolozi side. The roads are both tarred and gravel. The roads are maintained and are in a good state. We would advise that you purchase a map at the entrance and travel slowly. As always the earlier you get into any park the better.
Please do note that cell phone signal is not available throughout the Park.
Close By Attractions
Did you know that St Lucia, KwaZulu Natal is South Africa's very first World Heritage site?